One of the main goals for FIFA as it embraces reform and returns its full focus to football is to reconnect with the roots of the game and the players that have helped to write the history of the world’s most popular sport.
The FIFA Legends Team is designed to bring together former top players from men’s and women’s football to promote and support football and its wider mission around the world, and to give something back to the game.
• Global representatives of FIFA’s efforts to develop football
• Promote fair play, respect, equality, solidarity and peace through sport
• Supporting FIFA’s social development projects
The Legends will focus on three main activities:
The FIFA Legends on Tour
We will stage FIFA Legends matches around the world against local all-star teams to promote different areas of FIFA’s work and football’s wider mission such as FIFA competitions, supporting a social project or showing solidarity in an area affected by natural disaster.
Four two-day tours will take place in the first year, including additional events from grassroots clinics to fundraising and fan engagement.
The FIFA Legends Forum
FIFA will organise think-tank sessions with the Legends at least once a year so that their opinions on the important football topics can be heard, and so that FIFA can present new ideas for feedback. These views will be shared with top decision-makers, authorities and policy committees in football.
The FIFA Legends Initiatives
FIFA will also ask members of the FIFA Legends Team to act as ambassadors in key areas such as event promotion, football development, women’s football, diversity, health and sustainability projects.
• Visiting FIFA projects, development project openings and grassroots events
• Supporting activities around events like FIFA tournaments, the Best FIFA Football Awards, the FIFA Congress, the FIFA Women in Football Conference.
• Representing FIFA and its values at conferences or events